Sunday, August 30, 2009

Another Post about Sensorial History.

A few days have passed since I began reading the articles for ECI525 at NCSU. I'm increasingly finding myself wondering about what my senses are doing. I'm also increasingly finding myself falling into some good ole college routines. The first is interesting to you, the second is interesting to me!

First, when I heard a friend talking about the flood in Tarboro, 1999, I started 'feeling' what it must have been like to be there. I could taste the mold in the air. I could smell the stagnation everywhere, and I could almost touch the slime that engulfed the flooded areas. I felt more invested in what we we learning during that little interview that I had previously. Instead of collecting some distant ideas or facts, I was moving through a historical even that would impact this region for years to come. I could feel the fear coursing through the community as it wondered what would come next? Would anyone bother rebuilding the community, or would the people just give up and move on?

As I'm reading the biography of Abraham Lincoln that I picked up, I find myself more and more imagining what it meant to be living during that time. If the river didn't flow properly, then trade didn't happen. I can sit at the dock with the one person in the story who waited several days for the river to come up to be able to take his goods to market. In my minds I, I see the water, I feel the tension in the air and I smell the stagnant tobacco burning in an old clay pipe. It's strange, but to begin to think about things sensationally really puts one into a first-person view of history.

Second, I am obsessing over assignments. This is the second time I have posted a comment to my own posting in an effort to elaborate and continue my stream of thought. I think that my original post was reflective, but I realize that part of it was summative. I'm also drinking tea while studying and my drive for thrash metal has returned. Odd.

Rammstein is still cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment